Thursday, July 5, 2012

BREAKING NEWS


On a day the Dow Jones surged 2.20% and Nasdaq gained 3.00%, I received a CNN Breaking News Alert:

Actress Katie Holmes has filed for divorce from Tom Cruise, his attorney says.

Other news this day included articles dissecting the Supreme Court decision on the Affordable Care Act, the death toll of civilians in Syria, a bailout of European banks and Roger Federer’s stunning victory in the third round of Wimbledon (two sets down, he pulled through in a fifth set trouncing of Benneteau).

And yet, divorce is considered the Breaking News story.

The other day, the L.A. Times had a scathing article on the new HBO series “The Newsroom.” The show didn’t fare much better in some other reviews. It got me thinking: Is it possible the media doesn’t like a show about the media that points out the problems with the media? This show should be required viewing for journalists.

So with a Breaking News Alert from CNN (the most trusted name in news?) about a private matter between two people I don’t care about, the question is: Do news organizations lead the way to the dumbing down of America or are they just giving the people what they want?




3 comments:

  1. I don't think news organizations are leading they way, but they are certainly running neck and neck with any given reality show, which IMHO is the leading cause of the dumbing down of the general population, which in turn almost forces the news organizations to run such headlines because, yes, unfortunately... America wants the dirt. (I may need to repeat myself and use periods next time.) Basically, it's a which came first, the chicken or the egg? What will pull in the ratings? Dirt. Shame. Embarrassment. It's a sad world sometimes. But thankfully, not all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I’d like to share your outrage over the moronic condition of the news media (I’ve personally been in a fugue state since Olbermann left the air, this time) and calling the dissolution of TomKat breaking news is moronic squared, I gotta say, ‘Congrats Ms. Holmes’. But as for sad old CNN, times are tough in Atlanta and I hate to kick a network when it’s down, but even their motto has become somewhat of an oxymoron. Why does ‘The most trusted name in news’ slogan so much remind me of ‘The tallest pygmy in the bush’ or ‘Poorer of the Koch Brothers’?
    My dear Ms. Voodoo, my unsolicited advice; take a deep calming breath (learned during lesson one at the Groupon Yoga Ashram) ‘cause you’re in for some grueling months ahead leading up to the next election where the idiocy of each electrifying `news bulletin’ will have you sighing for a break in the ‘news’ on the level of celeb divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they're giving people what they THINK they want. And maybe some people DO want that stuff- but I think it's a vicious Catch 22. That is what they've been giving us, that's what other networks give, so that's what we expect and want.

    I applaud Aaron Sorkin for bringing this issue to light. Not only it is The Newsroom an entertaining show with stellar, acting, writing and directing but it is high time we talked about the charade of "news" in this country! Btw, I personally do not care what Tom Cruise and Katy Holmes do, EVER. I never have; it isn't my business and I don't watch the news to hear what celebs are doing or not doing.

    What has happened with CNN over the last 10 years is really sad-I used to love them when they were a global news organization focusing on the NEWS. That's why I listen to NPR. No advertising is the only way to achieve a modicum of fair & balanced.

    ReplyDelete